Highway Searches | Oxfordshire County Council

Highway Searches

How to find out if land is part of the public highway.

Please note: this page is for highway records only.

We make a charge to all profit-making organisations to provide written highway status information. The current fee is detailed on the scale of charges shown below, but a verbal reply is free of charge.

We are here to help and are happy to advise you, so please contact us.

Just because an area is public highway does not mean that we own it. To find out who owns it, you can contact the Gloucester Office of the Land Registry, and make local enquiries as we can only tell you what the County Council owns.

Requesting a search

To request a search complete the form below providing a plan or drawing clearly showing the area in which you are interested (a marked section of an Ordnance Survey plan is ideal).

If you need to pay a fee we will contact you with payment options before we carry out the search.

Please note: highway search map results are valid for 28 days from the date of reply. Oxfordshire County Council will charge for a follow up or repeat request.


A straightforward request for highway information can be provided in a few working days, however sometimes additional research and site visits may be required so more complicated searches may take longer to provide.

Planning permissions

You should be aware that planning permission, on its own, does not confer a third party right over the public highway.

Important caution

  • You should not put up any structure or carry out any planting on the highway.
  • Rights over the public highway are different from rights over private land; we can advise you further.
  • If you believe the county council's highway records are incorrect, there is a process of appeal.

Online search request form

This form should be used for Highway Record searches only. General enquiries should be made by calling 0345 310 1111 or can be reported on the Fix my street page.

About your request

We can't give details as to whether a highway joins
the boundary of a private property.

Our highway records team can't answer questions about
Rights of Way, footpaths, bridleways etc.

See our countryside map page for details.

Add your extra questions about this search in the box. The amount or type of question asked may increase the price.

Your details

Details of the property/land

You need to provide the address and include a map of the property or area of interest. A marked section of an Ordinance Survey plan is ideal to upload.

Files must be less than 50 MB.
Allowed file types: gif jpg jpeg png pdf doc docx.

Next steps

We will review your request and provide a full quote. Once payment has been made we will process your request.

You will receive an email confirming your application and including details of what happens next.

How we use your data

In this form, we ask for some personal information (such as name, address, postcode) in order to fulfil your request. This information is held securely and is only used to provide you with the service you have requested. Any processing of your information is carried out in line with the requirements of current data protection legislation. Further details about how we process personal data can be found in our Privacy notice.


Last reviewed
18 May 2018
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback