Obstructions to the road or pavement | Oxfordshire County Council

Obstructions to the road or pavement

How to report an obstruction to the road or pavement.

If a person without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs free passage along a highway, they are guilty of an offence and we - as the Highway Authority - have legal powers to enforce the removal of the obstruction.

Report an obstruction online

Enter a postcode, or street name/area:


Examples of types of obstruction include:

  • builders' skips or materials
  • scaffolding/hoardings
  • temporary works including traffic lights
  • overhanging tree branches or hedges
  • overgrown plants and bushes
  • mud/debris on the road
  • rocks/boulders
  • mixing concrete/mortar on the highway
  • unauthorised vendors/traders
  • encroachment of highway boundaries (where ownership of areas of the highway has been unlawfully assumed)
  • discharge of water onto the highway blocking of rights of way
  • illegal signs
  • advertising boards
  • dangerously hung banners or bunting
  • barriers around roadworks that affect public safety.
Last reviewed
28 March 2018

Related pages

No related pages listed
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback