Oversailing licence | Oxfordshire County Council

Oversailing licence

How to apply for a licence for structures projecting over the highway.

Oversailing licences relate to any permanent or temporary structure which spans the public highway. This includes windows, advertising boards, shop signs or banners as well as cranes whose jib extends across the highway. Application is made under Highways Act 1980, Section 177.


The fee is £350 for a Crane jib and £150 for a non-Crane jib).

There will be a £500 fine for non-compliance of the terms and conditions of the licence


You can expect your licence to be processed within one calendar month.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How to apply


Or you can print out and complete an application form, and send it to the address below, accompanied by:

Who to contact

Licences will be issued by our Licensing and Streetworks Administration Team, and any questions should be directed to them.

Complaints about a person or trader licensed by us

In the event of a complaint contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of posting/delivery). If that fails and you are located in the UK, contact Consumer Direct for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Last reviewed
03 April 2018
PrintPrint Short linkShort link to this pageGive us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback