Resolving a dispute about SEN decisions | Oxfordshire County Council

Resolving a dispute about SEN decisions

Processes in place to help parents and young people.

Dispute resolution

Early resolution of any disagreements is best for everyone and can help to avoid stress and expense.

If you are unable to agree about decisions or provision it may be helpful to have independent, impartial help. Disagreement resolution arrangements cover a range of disagreements.

Trained staff to help

SENDIASS (formerly Parent Partnership) have trained staff to provide dispute resolution. Disagreement resolution is also available through Global Mediation 

Dispute resolution services can be used at any time, if both parties agree. The provider may be charged for this service.


Parents and young people may ask for mediation to help sort out disagreements relating to decisions about education, health and care needs assessments and plans.

How it works

Firstly, a trained, independent mediator will give advice about mediation, and then if it is agreed that mediation would be helpful a session will be set up with you and a representative of the local authority or health service depending upon what is disputed.

The mediator will clarify what the issue is and then try to help you both to reach an agreement.

Mediation can cover the health, education and/or care elements of an EHC plan.

Parents and young people must usually seek advice from an independent mediation adviser before they can make an appeal to the SEN and Disability Tribunal (known as the First Tier tribunal: SEN and Disability).

Find out more about mediation in the Code of Practice for SEND 2014 (paragraph 11.13 – 11.39).

Oxfordshire mediation

In Oxfordshire, mediation is carried out for the local authority by Global Mediation. Any attempt to reach agreement would not prejudice a first-tier tribunal decision, your rights would not be affected and an appeal to the tribunal could run at the same time as any other means to resolve things.

Last reviewed
20 February 2018
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback