Getting married in a church | Oxfordshire County Council

Getting married in a church

A guide to arranging a wedding in a church or religious building.

St Giles Church, Oxford

Marriages in churches

A religious ceremony may take place in any religious building which has been registered for worship and marriages. Your first contact should be with the church minister where you would like to marry.

Following their agreement to conduct your ceremony, you may need to contact the Register Office where you live to give your Notice of Marriage.

You can contact the Oxfordshire Register Office.

You may find the following links useful:


Find out about the costs for civil partnership and marriage certificates, attendance of registrars at weddings and online payment.


Last reviewed
26 June 2018
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback