Finding someone to speak for you | Oxfordshire County Council

Finding someone to speak for you

Advocacy is a way of helping people to have their voice heard about things that are important.

local offer logo

What an advocate is

An advocate can help you to think about choices and options, to find out information and to make your views known. Advocates are independent and impartial, they will not give you opinions or make judgments.

The Care Act (2014) says that in some circumstances the local authority must provide independent advocacy for young people who are undergoing transition assessments.

Free advocacy services

Oxfordshire Advocacy provide free advocacy services for any adult in Oxfordshire who needs help to say what they want and get the services they need. They also provide an independent mental capacity advocacy service.

SEAP provide free advocacy services for people with mental health conditions and also to help people with making a complaint about NHS health care.

Our Shared Lives scheme gives adults without close family or friends and who are in need of care and support the opportunity to share in the family life of a Shared Lives carer. As part of this Shared Lives carers can offer advocacy support.

Help and information


The special educational needs and disability information advice and support service (SENDIASS) offers impartial information, advice and support to parents of children and young people with SEN and disabilities. You can get in touch by completing this online form.

The service aims to help parents, carers, young people and educational professionals to work together to provide the best possible support to children and young people with special educational needs, by:

Finding support for parents/carers on your doorstep

Search for organisations and groups to support parents and carers of disabled children and young people and those with SEN and additional needs.

Enter a postcode or place name:

Last reviewed
23 February 2018
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback