Support to families with disabled children and young people | Oxfordshire County Council

Support to families with disabled children and young people

Services to help disabled children (0 - 25) and their parents with their social care needs

Local Offer logo - support and services available for children and young people with SEND.

Help available to all

Childcare (birth – 17years)

For help in finding suitable childcare to meet the needs of your child and family see childcare choices for parents of disabled children.


The Family Information Directory has information about leisure activities for disabled children and young people.

Short breaks (5 -17 years)

Short breaks provide opportunities for disabled children (5 to 17 years) to have fun away from their families and can give parents a break from caring responsibilities too. Breaks include open access and specialist provision. This page also has the Short Breaks Statement (pdf format, 1.4 Mb) which has information on open access services working with disabled children and specialist short breaks


Support for joining in

The criteria and information on the Early Years inclusion support scheme, inclusion support scheme (short breaks), short breaks transport scheme and the short breaks enabler support scheme are all available on the funding section of the short breaks for disabled children web page.

Early Years inclusion support scheme

The Early Years inclusion support scheme can provide short term funding to help a disabled child (aged under five) to take part in play, childcare or leisure activities within mainstream settings.

Inclusion support scheme (short break) funding and short break transport scheme

Inclusion support scheme (short breaks) and the short breaks transport scheme may be available if you need help paying for transport, fees or extra support to access activities. Funding can only be accessed by families on low income/benefits with disabled children aged 5-17 years. The priority for this scheme is to support access to out-of-school activities and/or holiday activities.

Short break enabler support scheme

The enabler support scheme is to promote inclusion and remove the barriers to play, childcare and leisure for disabled children and young people.

Provision that is inclusive of all children will have priority particularly when they are requesting:

  • support for children and young people to attend more local mainstream settings
  • support for teenagers in preparing to move into adulthood
  • support for Early Years children
  • support for working families to access childcare for children and young people
  • any other enabler situation that meets the criteria. 

Disability Access Fund

Providers offering 3 and 4-year-old children early education funding can claim Disability Access Funding (DAF) to support disabled children to access the free entitlement.

3 and 4-year-olds will be eligible for the DAF if they meet the following criteria:

  • the child is in receipt of child Disability Living Allowance and
  • the child receives free early education

*Please note that four-year olds in primary school reception classes are not eligible for DAF funding.

To be eligible for DAF, the child must be named on the DLA award letter and receive early education (children whose siblings attract DLA but don’t themselves would not be eligible). The DAF funding is a non-transferable lump sum payment of £615 per year and the parent must nominate which provider will receive the funding.

The provider will then need to send a completed application form (rft format, 123Kb) signed by a parent and a copy of the Disability Living Allowance award letter to Oxfordshire County Council at

Support for parent carers

The Max discount card

The Max Card is a discount card for families of disabled children and children with additional needs.  Max Card is free to families in Oxfordshire it has been funded by Oxfordshire County Council working in partnership with Parent Carers Voice Oxfordshire. If you would like to register for a card contact or call 01235 849470. Download a registration form (pdf format, 207Kb).

Find out more on the mymaxcard website.

Parent Carers Voice Oxfordshire

Parent Carers Voice Oxfordshire is a forum of parents and carers of disabled children who work with local authorities, education settings, health providers and other providers to make sure the services they plan and deliver meet the needs of local disabled children and families.

Parents or carers of a child with any type of additional need or disability are welcome to join. Joining this forum does not mean you have to commit lots of time. You can join and receive information, and then decide if you want to get more involved at your own pace.

For more information please contact: Michelle Evans: 01235 520440 or 07557 038 277, Email:

The Family Information Service

The Family Information Service also provides details of local support groups and can be contacted by email at

Particular help when there are problems

The Sensory Impairment Team

The Sensory Impairment Team works with Oxfordshire children who have a hearing loss, visual loss or both. Teams offer a wide range of support including social work, habilitation, mobility training, adaptive equipment assessments, information and advice.

Integrated Children’s Services

Integrated Children’s Services provide support to parents and carers through the new Family Solutions Service (FSS) which is based in and delivering services from eight children and family centres.

Oxfordshire’s Short Breaks Statement

The Short Breaks Statement (pdf format, 1.4 Mb) contains information on what short break support is being provided in Oxfordshire and what short breaks are available that could work for your child.

Children's social care

Referrals for support for children's social care from parents or members of the public are managed by the MASH (Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub). This multi-agency hub of social care, health and police share information to make sure children and families receive the most appropriate support.

The MASH team may signpost to other sources of support; it will also decide which social work team should assess the child and family circumstances. After this assessment, longer term support may be provided by a different social work team.

Referrals can be made by parents by contacting MASH on 0345 050 7666.

Professionals who are working with families should have completed an Early Help Assessment and should be working with the families using a Team around the Family approach.

If the professional feels more help is needed they can refer to the Locality and Community Support Service (LCSS) and will ask the parent's permission to do this. 

There are named link workers in the LCSS for specific organisations e.g. schools and GP practices. The LCSS will support professionals to access targeted support within children's services to ensure children get the right support at the right time.

They may attend Team around the Family meetings, where appropriate, to offer advice and support. They will work with partners to identify those families who may require additional support from the Early Help team in the Family Solutions Service or from another specialist team.

Locality and Community Support contact details

Tel: 0345 2412703 Samuelson House,
Tramway Rd,
OX16 5AU
Tel: 0345 2412705 Knights Court,
Between Towns Road,


Tel: 0345 2412608 Abbey House,
Abbey Close,
OX14 3JD


Moving into adulthood

  • The Family Information Directory has specific section with information, advice, resources and activities for disabled children and young people moving into adulthood.
  • Check the Moving into Adulthood with information about lots of things to think about as young people move into adulthood.

Adult social care services

To help you to take control of your care and support as you move into adulthood look at our adult social care pages for information and advice.

There’s help on our working and learning page for disabled adults to get and keep a job, become a volunteer or train or learn.

Parents and carers of disabled children and young people can also need support.  Carers Oxfordshire  has detailed information about the carer’s assessment, rights, benefits, grants and breaks.

Last reviewed
26 March 2018
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback