Family Solutions Service | Oxfordshire County Council

Family Solutions Service

Find out more information about the Family Solutions Service (FSS)

The Family Solutions Service (FSS) will provide support to families across Oxfordshire and will focus support for children aged 0 – 19 (and up to their 25th birthday if children have special educational needs with an Education Health and Care Plan in place) and families in greatest need.

The Family Solutions Service will integrate the Children's Social Care Family Support Service with the Early Intervention Service. The aim is to provide timely support and interventions through case work and targeted interventions to vulnerable children and families requiring statutory or targeted support to reduce safeguarding concerns.

The service will be based in eight Children and Family Centres alongside two linked sites. Services will be delivered locally from these sites and workers will meet children and families at other venues, including their home, school and other locations close to where the family live to provide one to one  support. In addition, targeted group programmes will be offered from alternative venues such as local community centres, which will include the more rural parts of the County, in order to ensure families do not have to travel extensive distances to attend them. This will ensure we offer support to vulnerable families and children on a county wide basis.

In each centre there will be a statutory team and an early help team, who will work together to provide support to children in need, those on child protection plans and those who are looked after by Oxfordshire County Council.

Family Solutions Early Help

The Early Help Team will work closely with partner agencies to provide a range of services including open access and programmes related to parenting, domestic abuse, school readiness and access to education, employment and training (EET). They will also provide targeted case work, as well as specialist EET and substance misuse case work, via Aquarius. The Early Help Team will continue to liaise with schools to complete return interview for missing children who are not known to children's services.

Children who have additional needs, which LCSS have agreed with partners, cannot be met through the TAF, will be able to access Early Help support. To access Early Help an EHA/TAF or statutory assessment/plan needs to be in place. A conversation should then be had with LCSS who will support practitioners in making decisions about the appropriateness of Early Help support.

Family Solutions Statutory

The statutory teams will continue to deliver statutory services to children on child in need and child protection plans.

Troubled Families Employment Advisor (TFEA)

We have two Troubled Families Employment Advisors (TFEAs) across the county. They can offer information, advice and guidance regarding training, employment and work related opportunities.

The TFEAs provide direct support to access work and will liaise with the Job Centre to discuss each individual's needs, provide one-to-one support, and provide benefit advice to individuals and teams.

They are available to support adults (18 plus) who are part of an identified Troubled Family in receipt of, or eligible for, out of work benefits including the following: Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit.

To access support, the adult must be in agreement, please contact your local TFEA.

Immediate concerns about a child

The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) will remain the front door to Children’s Social Care for all child protection and immediate safeguarding concerns.

If there is an immediate safeguarding concern, for example:

  • Allegations/concerns that the child has been sexually/physically abused.
  • Concerns that the child is suffering from severe neglect or other severe health risks.
  • The child is frightened to return home.
  • Concern that a child is living in or will be returned to a situation that may place him/her at immediate risk.
  • The child has been abandoned or parent is absent.

You should call the MASH immediately.

Last reviewed
16 June 2017
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback