Protecting against future claims | Oxfordshire County Council

Protecting against future claims

Landowners may protect themselves against future claims for public rights of way and village greens

Arable Field on a farm south of Oxford

What it means to you

If you are a landowner, or act on behalf of one, you can send us a map of your land with a statement describing any public rights of way which you acknowledge already exist on your land.

Then, you can send us a declaration stating that you have not dedicated any more ways to the public.  You need to do this within 20 years for new deposits or 10 years for deposits made before 1 October 2013.

This can protect you from claims that might be made in the future to record more public rights of way over the land.  (But it cannot protect you from any claims for rights of way that may have come into being before the Statement was submitted.)

You can also send us a map and statement which brings to an end any use of your land as a Village Green.  In legal terms, that means any recreational use of the land ''as of right' (without force, secrecy or permission).  To find out more about read our page on town and village greens.

We charge for this service (see below).

How to apply

To make or renew a deposit or statement, you will need to fill in the official application form and send it, with a map and a cheque made payable to Oxfordshire County Council, to the address below.

Before you apply, please read the guidance and the Frequently asked questions below

Number of land parcels in application From 1 April 2017
Up to two land parcels £274
Three or four parcels £299
Five to seven parcels £336
More than seven parcels £336 plus £73 for each additional land parcel

The figures above are VAT exempt.

Search for a statement

You can search our register of statements, maps and supporting declarations by landowners.

More information

For more information or to make a deposit, please contact us.

Last reviewed
22 March 2017

Related pages

No related pages listed
PrintPrint Short linkShort link to this pageGive us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback