Other childcare careers | Oxfordshire County Council

Other childcare careers

Further job opportunities working with young children.

Types of childcare jobs

Although working as a childminder, in a nursery, pre-school, a children’s centre or out of school group, are the most common jobs in the childcare sector, there are many more.

Home childcarer

A home childcarer, or nanny, looks after a child in the family's own home. You would take on the responsibilities of looking after the children for example: feeding; taking for walks; reading stories; taking to toddler groups; and picking up from school. 

For some families, including those with a child with a physical or learning disability, children with autistic spectrum disorders or sensory problems, having childcare provided in the family home may be the preferred option. A home childcarer is employed by the family who are responsible for paying the carer's tax and national insurance contributions.

Hospital playworkers

Hospital playworkers work with sick children and their siblings in hospitals and there is also a need for prison playworkers where they care for the children of visitors.

Community nursery nurses

Community nursery nurses work with families and children (usually from birth to age eight) within community nursing, health visiting and family support teams.

Crèche worker

Working in a crèche you would look after children for short periods of time, usually whilst their parents are on the same premises.

Foster Carers

Foster Carers look after children in their own home in the long-term, short-term or perhaps to give relief or respite care to a family. To find out more see our fostering pages

Last reviewed
12 July 2017
PrintPrint Give us feedback on this pageFeedback form, opens in new window.
Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback