Education Health and Care Plans | Oxfordshire County Council

Education Health and Care Plans

The majority of children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) will have their needs identified and met through the Local Offer at their local mainstream setting, school or college.

A small number of children will require an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment in order for us to decide whether it is necessary to set out the support that will help them achieve the best outcomes. This is usually where needs are complex or severe and progress is not being made despite individually tailored support. The written record of the special provision that must be put in place for the child or young person is called an EHC Plan.

If you are concerned that your child requires such an assessment please contact the SENCO in your child’s school or the SEN casework team in the first instance to discuss this further or complete an application.

Pages in this section

The EHC assessment

Applying for an assessment, what happens next and information about personal budgets.

Reviewing an EHC plan

How an EHC plan is reviewed and how you will be involved.

What is an EHC plan?

EHC assessment and plans, how we use person centred planning and where to find out more.

Access key details Skip to main content Home News Sitemap Search Website help Complaints Terms and conditions Website feedback